Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bodies just can't contain our inhabiting spirit. We spill out of our pores. Laughter. Tears. Poetry. Painting. What lingers behind when we have left the room. These are all floating or landed bits of us, bubbled over and out. It is a miracle more doesn't escape. I wonder if death is the spirit's final triumph over imprisoning skin and bones.

My little Suki was like the personification of a wild, cackling, happy laugh. She passed away early this morning while we were asleep. Her energy still ricochets across the walls. Soon she will be out and in the buzzing bee, the strung out squirrel, the girlish butterfly, the affectionate buttercup, the unruly wildflowers, until she is scattered further still towards freedom.

6 comments:

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Oh, I'm sorry. I know it hurts. But what beautiful thoughts you have expressed. And her life had and still has great meaning.

kendalee said...

What a lovely way to look at it Sheila - the spirit's final triumph... I'm sure this is true. Energy is never lost, it just transforms. Getting used to the space where the body used to be is a sad readjustment for those left behind though. So I'm sorry for your loss of Suki's little smile and love-you-can-touch presence. Very sorry.

LifeIsArt said...

I'm new to your blog...your writing is incredible. It gives me chills and makes me want to come back for more!
I am so sorry for your love loss.

Maria said...

Sorry you've lost a piece of your heart, but what a beautiful post, how wonderful to put this in such a joyful light. I will remember always this beautiful viewpoint and look a little differently at the world around me.

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Beautiful that you still feel her energy and happiness. She will always be with you in all that your heart sees. It is so hard to say goodbye and I am so sorry for your loss.

Anil P said...

Sorry to hear about Suki.

Memories dwell in one's own personal reality of the moment, albeit a remembered reality.