Monday, April 20, 2009

Chinatown



Breathe in deeply because if you do I am pretty sure you can smell this. You can probably even feel the steam seeping into the pores of your cheeks and forehead. If you dive head first through the photo you are rejoicing in the concept of immediate gratification; you point, you eat. The chopsticks bring clarity to the act of eating; you feel that frequently underused part of your brain pleasantly humming. You are in the personal space of your company. You hear quiet eating, steady bustle and verbal commands that are much like the tea: no sugar, no cream, and cutting straight through to the point. Today your eyes and stomach make friends, you desire no more than that for which you have room, and when you slip your raincoat on you can step back into New York City with renewed balance.

6 comments:

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Terrific writing there!! ♥

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Before I read, I saw steaming rice and smelled the slightly sweet, moist air. Lovely photo, lovely description.

What About The Girl? said...

You write such beautiful prose! I love how you write...
You should write short stories or better yet, a novel!
Wonderful backdrop! The steam is perfect for the first few words you used..breathe...smell...

Congratulations on POTD!

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to sit opposite you and to hear your words truly come to life.

in another lifetime said...

You guys are the best!

I have to say that a footnote of some sort is due re: the "pleasant humming" of that part of the brain. I realized with dismay this morning that this concept is one that I've heard before....somewhere. I can't figure out where! Does anyone recognize it? For now, consider this acknowledgment to some intelligent, deserving person!

Maria said...

Beautiful, you truly are incredible Sheila, I've said it before, but you always take me away.
(I see also in this one a nod to mindful eating.)
Love your sidebar as well. Hemingway is my husbands favorite author, although he loves all literature, hope to one day be sharing your novel with him.